Tuesday, June 30, 2015

I have started a new journey.  My Scott found an old herald loom on Craigslist.  We went to go have a look see.. The poor thing had been left outside under an old well house cover. I had never heard of Herald looms and thought to myself, I can fix this old thing up.
And so the journey begins. .
I have been slowly taking it apart and sanding as I go. I do not know what kind of wood it is made of but, it is a hard wood. One of the treadles was broken off and all but one of the eight shafts/harnesses are in pieces. I have glued four of them together. He has a 32" weaving width which is great for my little studio. I have been using the most amazing Gilmore loom that a friend of mine owns. I do not know if I am going to stain him or just oil him. As I am sanding him I think of all the things that must have been woven on him. The loom maker invented the shaft /harness system that he has. He got a patent on it in the 40s. This is one of the first looms that he made.
here are some photos of him as I am working along.









No comments:

Post a Comment